Saturday 19 April 2008

Perfume that lasts all day!

I recently purchased Perfumes, Splashes & Colognes - a simple book that provides an introduction to making your own perfumes at home. As I'm not looking to get into perfume in a big way it's just the right level of knowledge for me. 

I've made up a few of the recipes in a base of jojoba oil. I've used fragrance oils (from Soap Kitchen) where the particular scent doesn't exist as an essential oil (e.g. - amber) or where it's very expensive (e.g. - jasmine). Once I find a scent I really like, then I'll use essential oils as far as possible.

The perfumes now need to sit for a couple of weeks while the oils get to know each other and agree on the final scent. But I decided to try on one of them today, after only a couple of days. Ok, I know it was a bit impatient! ;-) It's a lovely simple recipe that blends gardenia, jasmine, rosewood and amber. After a few days it's already a subtle, feminine scent that doesn't overpower the senses. Anyway, I put it on at about 8am and I could still smell it - albeit more faintly - at 8pm this evening, after a busy day out in London! This is the first time I've experienced such a long lasting effect. The Lemon Musk that I recently made up was a lovely smell, but only lasts 3-4 hours. 

So, even before the perfume is officially "ready" - that's a result! :-)

As an addendum to this post... the whole world of perfume making is such an industry secret, so I find it wonderful to discover more "open" information about it. And if I was looking to go into it further then I would be very excited by the mention of a "professional Perfume Course of international standard" in Aromantic's Spring Newsletter. It's a 6 day course that AromaSciences are planning to run later this year (and back-to-back with an Aromantic Skin Care course). It's not cheap but it does sounds like popping your clogs and going to heaven - from which you come home with a scent kit of 300-500 scents!!

Share on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment